Winning in a New Sales Territory
Winning in a new sales territory
Getting started in a new sales territory is hard. Whether it’s getting started with a new geography, a new product line or a new position, there is a lot to learn to get up to speed. How can you figure out where to best focus your efforts?
Do your research
You can learn a lot about your territory before you even set foot in it. Hospital and physician information can now be found in databases like ProPublica and OpenPayments as well as public sites like Doximity and WebMD. Some things to consider when doing your research:
- Hospital systems/affiliations
- Physician procedure/prescription profile
- Physician device mix
- Referral patterns
Learn from your peers
Talk to experienced area sales reps, both friendly and competitive. They possess a wealth of invaluable experiences and extensive “tribal” knowledge that is difficult to uncover from anywhere else. Take note of:
- Area history of hospital/physician affiliations
- Market share breakdowns by hospital and physician
- Existing physician relationships
Prioritize your time
Armed with this information, you will be able to develop a focused strategy to attack your territory and prioritize how you spend your time.. Asking yourself these questions can be helpful:
- Which hospitals provide the best opportunity for growth?
- Which implanters are the best fit for your therapy? (they may not always be the busiest)
- Which non-implanting physicians in the area would benefit from education on indications and therapies?
Getting started in a new sales territory is a big challenge. Do your research, plan thoughtfully and prioritize your time to set yourself up for success.
DocCheer’s physician targeting software platform lets you find physicians in your area, with data that’s already analyzed and bucketed with procedure codes that are relevant to you. It’s simple, readable and mobile friendly. If you want to learn more, contact us.